RSS Feed

 Home
 Most Recent
 
 Authors
 Titles
 Help
 Search
 Log In
 
 

Cho Hakkai: Murderer? by Nuriko
[Reviews - 6] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Cho Hakkai: Murderer?

Chapter 4

The jail with the sheriff’s office was on the other side of the small town, and it took them about half an hour to get there. The sheriff was sitting behind a big desk sorting papers when they arrived. “Sit down,” he said rather brusquely, pointing at some chairs standing in front of his desk.

They all took seats before the sheriff, who cast them hard glances as he found a notebook and pen. Gojyo sat in the middle chair, longing for a cigarette, but he could not see an ashtray and Sanzo’s advice not to make things worse was finally setting in.

The sheriff, with an almost apologetic gesture, started to question Sanzo. Obviously he did not think a high-ranking monk could have anything to do with the murder, but he still asked some routine questions.

“Your name?”

“Genjo Sanzo.”

The sheriff wrote in his notebook. “Is the suspect a friend of yours?”

“No,” came Sanzo’s calm answer.

“What is your relationship to him, then?” The sheriff did not look up. “Is he your servant?”

Sanzo snorted. “We travel together. He drives the jeep and cooks our food, so in a way that makes him my servant, yes. But I have no responsibility for him.”

“He’s also our healer,” Goku broke in.

Sanzo stared angrily at Goku, and the sheriff gave him an unfriendly look. “It will be your turn next. Keep quiet until then.”

“So,” the sheriff returned to Sanzo, “he’s also a healer?”

“Yes,” answered Sanzo.

“That means he has good knowledge of the human body, right?”

Goku bent his head and Gojyo groaned inside.

“I suppose.” Sanzo refused to give the sheriff more than he asked for.

“I see,” the sheriff said knowingly.

“Why is that important?” Goku asked in a timid voice, not wanting to upset the sheriff, but unable to keep quiet.

The sheriff did not seem upset by the interruption this time. Instead he smiled unpleasantly. “The boys’ bodies were stabbed by a knife in a way that indicates the murderer had a good knowledge of how to perform the murder. Both boys were killed instantly by only one stab each. Do you think Cho Hakkai has that knowledge?” This time the question was directed to Goku.

“Hakkai isn’t a murderer!” said Goku.

“Answer the question!” the sheriff demanded sharply.

Goku looked desperately at Gojyo, who could not offer any help. “Yes,” Goku almost whispered.

The sheriff wrote in his book. Again he turned to Sanzo. “Your other two companions, are they friends or servants?”

“We travel together,” Sanzo answered as he had before.

The sheriff did not push the question, only kept writing. “What did you do after the incident in the dining room?”

Sanzo raised an eyebrow. “I went to my room and went straight to bed,” he said in a superior tone.

The sheriff blinked at his tone, but continued the questioning. “Did you notice what any of your travel partners did?”

“No.” Sanzo still looked unaffected.

“Thank you, your holiness. I’m sorry I had to ask you these questions. You are free to leave if you want, or you may stay while I question your travel companions.” He smiled in a way that probably could count as friendly.

“I’ll stay,” declared Sanzo.

The sheriff nodded and then again faced Goku. “Your name, boy?”

“Son Goku.”

“Do you consider Cho Hakkai to be your friend?” the sheriff asked.

Goku nodded. “Yeah. One of the best.”

“And how long have you known him?” continued the sheriff.

“Eh…” Goku had to think. “Four years, so I know him pretty well, and I can tell you he didn’t kill those boys.”

“During these years you have known him, he hasn’t killed anyone or showed violent tendencies?”

This time Goku answered just as calmly as Sanzo had. “We’ve been attacked by youkai almost every day since we started traveling together, and all of us have had to kill to be able to survive.” He looked the sheriff straight in his eyes. “I don’t call him a murderer because of that, do you?”

“Not because of that, no,” the sheriff answered. “But because of what he might have done last night. And…” he smirked at Goku, “so far I haven’t heard anything that makes me think he didn’t do it.”

“You fucking son of a bitch!” Gojyo hastily rose from the chair, but was pushed back by two strong arms, one from each side. Both Sanzo and Goku had reacted immediately when they saw him move.

The push was followed by Sanzo’s, “Shut up, kappa!”

The sheriff smirked again, dismissed Goku, and turned his attention to Gojyo. The eager spark in his eyes showed that it was Gojyo he wanted to question the most.

“So, the suspect’s lover wants to have his turn, too. I was wondering how long you could keep your mouth shut.” He stared at Gojyo with unfriendly eyes.

Turning a page in his notebook, he started the questioning. “What’s your name?”

Gojyo forced himself to answer calmly. “Sha Gojyo.”

“And how long have you known him? As long as Son Goku?” An evil smirk crept over his face, as he was no longer able to keep his dislike from overwriting his professionalism. “Or did Cho Hakkai pick you up at some brothel by the road?”

There was a challenge in the sheriff’s voice that made Gojyo’s face turn red with anger. But he remembered Sanzo’s warning and answered tightly. “I’ve known him only a little longer then Goku and Sanzo, about one month longer.”

“Ah,” the sheriff looked expectantly at Gojyo. “And you know him well, too, I presume? Better than the others?”

“I guess,” said Gojyo suspiciously.

“What do you know of Cho Hakkai’s life before you met him?”

Gojyo studied him. Did the sheriff know something and want to catch Gojyo in a lie? He answered carefully. “He’s an orphan raised in an orphanage, and when he grew older he became a teacher for small children.” That sounded innocent enough, Gojyo thought. A teacher. A children-loving teacher, who did not go around murdering people… Only, that was what had happened that time…

The sheriff smirked again. “Have you ever heard of a murderer by the name of Cho Gonou?”

That was unexpected. Somehow Gojyo managed not to show the fear he felt, and as far as he could see neither of the others showed anything either.

“No,” he lied without hesitation, but not too quickly. He did not like lying, but it was a small thing if it could help Hakkai.

The sheriff had watched Gojyo attentively when he asked that last question, and Gojyo could see he was disappointed by the reaction, or rather Gojyo’s lack of reaction. He must have been expecting something that confirmed that Hakkai was Gonou.

“Are you sure about that?” the sheriff asked sharply. “We have found a person who has given us testimony that Cho Gonou is the same as Cho Hakkai.”

“Really?” Sanzo sounded mildly interested. “Who is this Cho Gonou?”

The sheriff looked uncertainly at Sanzo. “He’s a man who committed mass murders of both youkai and humans, and then became a youkai himself. I’m sorry, your holiness. If they are the same person, it must be a shock to you, finding out you’ve been traveling with a murderer.”

“Interesting,” Sanzo mumbled.

Well, Sha Gojyo,” the sheriff wanted to continue the questioning of the half-breed. “What did you do -?“

“Tell me, where have you gotten the information about this Cho Gonou?” interrupted Sanzo.

Gojyo’s heart started to beat again. When he had understood that the sheriff was about to ask what he and Hakkai had done last night, it had felt like his heart had stopped. What would he answer? If he told the truth it would look very bad for Hakkai. If he lied… Well, he could claim that the witness had seen wrong, but if the sheriff had more witnesses, the lie would make it look even worse. Gojyo was for once very grateful to Sanzo for the interruption.

Again the sheriff looked uncertain, and at the same time, irritated. “I’m sorry, I can’t tell you that. The testifier needs to be protected.”

“From me?” Sanzo raised a brow.

“Ah, of course a high ranking monk wouldn’t do anything to her, but there can be no exceptions.” The sheriff sounded apologetic. “I hope you’ll understand, your holiness.”

Her, Gojyo thought. Why did he get a strange feeling when he heard the witness was a woman?

Sanzo shrugged. “I don’t care from where you got your information, but I can assure you that Cho Gonou is not the same as Cho Hakkai.” Both Goku and Gojyo stared at Sanzo at that statement, as did the sheriff. “I suggest you check on your source of information before you make such accusations,” Sanzo said coolly.

“Eh, yes, of course, I’ll do that,” the sheriff stammered. The reprimand from the holy monk had obviously confused him. He shifted in his chair and regained his composure somewhat while pretending to consult his notes. “I think it’s only fair of me to tell you that I personally am positive that Cho Hakkai is the murderer.” He looked at Gojyo, who stared back.

“Why?” Gojyo’s voice was harsh.

“First of all, he was seen at the place of the crime at the time of the murders. Second, he had the knowledge of how to commit this murder. Third, he had the motive. Everyone knows Lee and Feng had tried to get you two into trouble. There were also many people who heard Cho Hakkai say…” he found a page in his notebook and read. “…‘I'll handle this myself later,’ when Feng hit him in his groin.”

“We understand.” Sanzo rose and gave the sheriff a cold stare. “May we see Hakkai?” he inquired icily.

“No. I can’t allow any visits to the prisoner. I’m truly sorry your holiness, but as I said, there can be no exceptions.”

Sanzo did not answer, only turned and headed for the door. “Let’s go,” he commanded his followers.

“Wait,” the sheriff said urgently. Gojyo could see he struggled with himself, casting glances at the notebook. He probably had more questions to ask, especially the one he had started to ask Gojyo, but Sanzo’s cold eyes made him decide to skip it. “One more thing. Your welcome in this town has expired. You must go back to the inn and get your things, and then leave immediately.”

Gojyo faced the sheriff. “What the hell are you saying?! We’re not allowed to stay for Hakkai’s trial? You fucking…”

A clicking noise from Sanzo’s gun made Gojyo swallow hard and fall into silence. The gun was nowhere to be seen, but he had gotten Sanzo’s point. Fuck that sheriff. He longed to feel the man's throat between his hands.

“I would prefer if you weren’t present then, but there is no law that allows me to forbid you.” The sheriff gave Gojyo a dark look. “You may camp outside town if you’d like. But if you, redhead, show your face in the town before the trial, I’ll have you arrested for disturbing the peace. Got it, half-breed?” The last was said with an evil smile that made it clear Gojyo was not off the hook unless he took extreme care not to get caught.

Gojyo shot the sheriff a look, but said nothing.

“How will we know when the trial is, if we’re not allowed into town?” Sanzo asked.

“You are welcome, your holiness. Even the boy can come. Just keep that filth outside our border.” He pointed at Gojyo and laughed a short nasty laugh. “A homosexual half-breed.

That sort of scum is not wanted in this town.” He suddenly let all his disgust for Gojyo be seen.

Sanzo nodded. “I’ll make sure you won’t see him again.” He turned to leave. “Let’s go,” he said again.

Outside, Gojyo went straight to a nearby tree, slamming his fist into its trunk, swearing loudly. “That fucking bastard… I’ll show that damned, fucking, sorry excuse for a sheriff… There’s no way we could have convinced him a mistake has been made!” He turned his anger on Sanzo, who had lit a cigarette and followed him, and now was leaning against the other side of the tree. “What the hell do you mean by the sheriff’s not gonna see me again! He’ll see me alright! He’ll see me at the trial, and if he does anything to Hakkai, I’m the last thing he’s ever gonna see!” he yelled.

“I thought we’d agreed we weren’t letting him stand trial here,” Sanzo said calmly. “If we can get Hakkai out tonight, then the sheriff won’t see you again.”

“If?” Gojyo immediately reacted to the word. “Damn you, what fucking ‘if’?”

Sanzo did not answer, only left the tree to go back to the inn.

Goku pleaded with his companion. “Please, Gojyo. Let’s get our stuff and drive out of town.” He frowned. “Sanzo, who’s gonna drive?”

“I’ll drive,” Gojyo said behind him. “No way I’m gonna let that hasn’t-got-a-drivers-license monk kill us in a car crash before we’ve rescued Hakkai.” He hurriedly passed his two companions, and with the same speed he strode ahead of them towards the inn. Sanzo did not comment; he and Goku only followed the half-breed in silence.

Back at the inn Gojyo stopped just inside the door of his and Hakkai’s room and looked over it. The bed was not made, and his own stuff lay all over the room. Hakuryuu looked at him from the unused bed, kyuuing unhappily. “You don’t like this either, do you?” Gojyo gently patted the small dragon.

He sighed. It was bad enough getting ready to leave an inn in an ordinary way, but today he had to take care of Hakkai’s stuff, too. Not that that was much trouble; Hakkai’s night clothes lay neatly folded on the bed, where he had put them after leaving the bathroom. The few other things Hakkai had unpacked last evening were on his night table, so there was not much trouble, no.

Gojyo sighed again. He felt calmer now. As long as he kept reminding himself that they were going to get Hakkai out tonight, he could keep his temper down. He lit a cigarette before he started to throw his stuff into his trunk. Hakkai’s things he placed carefully and properly in Hakkai’s bag. He did not want Hakkai to be disappointed with him when he was back with them again.

Loaded with bags and blanket rolls, with Hakuryuu flying above him, he staggered downstairs to meet Sanzo and Goku, who already were waiting for him. Sanzo was taking care of the payments. Gojyo watched the innkeeper as she busied herself with the card. She handed it back to Sanzo with a polite smile, but she refused to look at Gojyo. Her eyes swept past him, as though she did not recognize he was standing right beside the monk. Yes, his welcome had definitely expired.

Gojyo could almost touch the relief in the air when they stepped out of the inn. At Sanzo’s request Hakuryuu turned himself to his jeep form, and they all climbed in with their luggage. In the rearview mirror Gojyo saw Goku, alone in the backseat. He looked uncomfortable, cringing like there was not enough space instead of too much.

Sanzo saw it, too. “Stop squirming and sit still, monkey,” he demanded.

“It’s too roomy back here,” Goku complained.

“It’s only until we leave town; tonight you’ll have the kappa back with you,” Sanzo said, and Gojyo felt relieved by his words, until Sanzo added, “probably.”

That word triggered Gojyo’s anger once again. “What do you fucking mean, ‘probably’?” Gojyo snapped as he began driving.

“We don’t know what will happen tonight,” Sanzo answered, as calm as ever.

“Damned monk! I know perfectly well what’s gonna happen! We’ll get back to the jail, free Hakkai, and then continue this fucking journey!” Gojyo yelled.

Sanzo shrugged. “Maybe.” He crossed his arms and shut his eyes to show it was the end of the discussion. Gojyo gritted his teeth and drove on.

It did not take them many minutes to leave town and find a suitable place for their camp. But they found making camp went much less smoothly than usual. They all knew what they had to do, but with one man short they seemed to collide with each other and hesitate at each step of the process. Eventually a fireplace was built in the middle of the camp, and their bedrolls were laid out around it.

They sat down around the fireplace, Sanzo took out his Marlboro Reds and lit one of them, and Gojyo lit the sixth of his Hi-Lites this morning. The silence was awkward, Gojyo thought. Sitting in silence when they had made camp used to be comforting, but silence like this only underscored what was missing. He glanced to his side. Hakkai should be sitting there. His calm breathing should assure Gojyo that everything was fine. Dammit. He rose. “I’m going for a walk,” he declared.

Sanzo cast him a quick glance in acknowledgement of his statement, and Goku asked gently, “Want me to go with you?”

“No,” Gojyo said, more harshly than he had intended, but Goku seemed to understand. He only nodded and lay down on the ground.

Gojyo strode under the trees. Dammit, he had to be alone for a while. He had suddenly felt tears behind his eyelids and he was not going to have a breakdown in front of that indifferent monk.

“We are getting him out tonight,” he mumbled to himself. “We are getting him out. Nothing can go wrong. Only humans to guard him.” Fucking shit. Why did he have to try to convince himself like this? It’s an easy task. Just get him, and then get the hell out of this town, never to return. So, what’s the fucking problem? “The problem is,” a tiny voice in his head said, “if he’s guilty.” Gojyo froze. No way! He’s not guilty! “Admit it,” the voice spoke again, “he had the opportunity, the knowledge, and the motive. And there was a witness who saw him leave the house right before the boys were found dead, and a number of witnesses who heard him say he would take care of them later.”

Gojyo leaned against a tree. So what? That only meant that the townspeople would have a hard time believing Hakkai did not commit the murder. It did not mean that Gojyo believed it. Sanzo maybe, but not himself. And not Goku. Goku was as convinced of Hakkai’s innocence as he was. But why had Hakkai said, “I’m sorry, Gojyo,” as he was taken out of their room?

Those damned tears started to trickle down his cheeks. Hakkai had not gone insane. Hakkai was not the same as Gonou; Sanzo hadn’t lied to the sheriff. The dreams he had had were only dreams, and everything that had happened in this town was only a series of unlucky circumstances. Gojyo sank to the ground, buried his head against his knees, and cried.

TBC


Skin Design by Amie of Intense-Illusions.net