RSS Feed

 Home
 Most Recent
 
 Authors
 Titles
 Help
 Search
 Log In
 
 

Cho Hakkai: Murderer? by Nuriko
[Reviews - 6] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Cho Hakkai: Murderer?

Chapter 3

Gojyo stared at him. “What! You damned… I don’t give a shit what you think of our relationship, but murder…? What the hell, are you talking about?” he managed to say, shaking with rage. Did these bigots want them out of town so badly they would make up false accusations?

Hakkai touched his shoulder. Gojyo saw that he had become pale as a ghost. “Please, calm yourself Gojyo. Let’s listen to what they have to say.”

Gojyo blinked. “Come on, Hakkai. You didn’t do it, so why do we have to listen to them?”

Hakkai looked at the sheriff. ”Can you tell us what happened?”

The sheriff let out a short laugh. “Don’t try to play innocent. You’re the one who’s going to give some explanations here.” He looked at Hakkai with disgust. “Get dressed. You’ll be coming with me.”

Without a word Hakkai took his clothes and headed for the bathroom. One of the sheriff’s men followed him. “No windows in the bathroom, sheriff. We can let him get ready in there.”

Gojyo stared after his friend. “Hakkai?” He turned to Sanzo. ”What the hell is going on? Hakkai’s no murderer. Say something, Sanzo!”

That Gojyo addressed the monk as just ‘Sanzo’ was an indication of how upset he was. Why didn’t Sanzo try to stop them? Why did Hakkai meekly obey the sheriff? Goku, at least, looked as confused as Gojyo felt.

Hakkai came out of the bathroom. The sheriff took out a pair of handcuffs, and Hakkai let the man put them on him without protest. Gojyo did protest, though, actively. He made an attempt to jump the sheriff, but was stopped by Sanzo, who suddenly appeared by his side, taking a strong grip on his arm. “Don’t make things worse, kappa,” he said. “Shut up, and I’ll tell you what happened later.”

“But…” Gojyo tried to argue.

“I said shut up.” Sanzo’s grip on Gojyo’s arm tightened, and his eyes were steel.

Gojyo glared at the monk, then angrily turned his head away. “Alright,” he muttered. “But you’d better have a good reason for this.”

“Depends on what you mean by good,” Sanzo answered calmly and let go of Gojyo’s arm.

The sheriff’s eyes swept over Sanzo, Gojyo, and Goku. “I must ask you not to leave town until after I have had a word with you. I want to ask you some questions, too. Come to my office as soon as you have had your breakfast. One of my men will be waiting for you downstairs.” His voice had an unmistakable tone of accusation in it.

“You think we might have something to do with this murder?” Sanzo’s violet eyes burned into the sheriff’s.

“Not you, your holiness,” the sheriff answered. For the first time he sounded a little uncertain, but not for long. “Your partners, on the contrary, are another matter. Especially that man.” He nodded at Gojyo. “As we have found out,” he added sarcastically, “he and the murderer are pretty close. They might have planned this together.”

“The suspected murderer,” corrected Sanzo.

“Of course, your holiness. My mistake.” The apology did not sound too sincere, and Gojyo had to clench his fists hard not to try attacking the sheriff again.

Hakkai stopped beside Gojyo as he was led out of the room. “I’m sorry, Gojyo.”

That comment made Gojyo choke; he could not get a single word out. All he could do was stare wildly as the sheriff and his men took Hakkai away. What the hell did Hakkai mean by that? The door closed behind them.

Frustrated, Gojyo sank down on the bed, bending forward to hide his face in his palms. He did not understand anything at all. Hakkai being accused of murder? What was happening? Slowly breathing, he tried to get a grip on himself. He drew his fingers through his hair, before looking up. “Wanna tell me what this is all about?” he asked Sanzo, who had seated himself in the chair by the window.

Goku pulled another chair to the window and sat down, close to Sanzo. The monk took up a cigarette and lit it before he answered. “Those boys we saw yesterday were found dead in their home last night. Stabbed by a knife.” He slowly blew out some smoke. “Hakkai was seen leaving that house last night.”

“So?” Gojyo said angrily. “How does that make him the murderer?”

Sanzo looked at Gojyo. “I don’t hear you denying he was there.”

Gojyo sighed desperately. “I can’t. I know he was there. I followed him last night and saw him go into that house with the boys.” In a defensive voice he added, “But he didn’t murder them. He’s no murderer.”

At that Sanzo raised an eyebrow. “That depends on how you define a murderer. If you say a murderer is someone who kills other people, then there are a whole lot of youkai out there who can say he is a murderer.”

“So am I, in that case! And you, and Goku! We’ve killed them in self-defense. Do you have a problem with that?” Gojyo’s anger was rising again. What the hell was the problem with the damned monk? He couldn’t possibly be serious about this.

“No,” Sanzo answered unaffected by Gojyo’s anger. “But what about the thousand innocent youkai four years ago? And half his home village?”

Gojyo rose, furious, and stepped over to the monk. “That was Gonou, not Hakkai! And he has already stood trial for that! He’s clean now!”

Sanzo looked calmly at the infuriated half-breed. “Do you really think he’s ‘clean’? Do you think Hakkai believes so?”

“I don’t care!” Gojyo yelled. “I know he didn’t do this! And don’t tell me you think he did, because if you do, I’ll kill you!” He raised his fists to Sanzo. Once again his attack was stopped, this time by Goku.

“Please, Gojyo.” Goku’s voice was serious. “We can’t help Hakkai if you don’t calm down.”

Gojyo muttered something inaudible, strode back to the bed, and threw himself down.

“So do you guys think he did it?” he asked, staring up at the ceiling.

“No,” Goku answered firmly. “Of course he didn’t. Just because he killed a lot of people then doesn’t mean he’s a killer now. Hakkai isn’t like that.”

Gojyo could not help but find comfort in Goku’s words. At least someone other than himself believed in Hakkai’s innocence. “What about you, monk? What do you think?”

Sanzo took a last draw on the cigarette and crushed the stump in the ashtray. “I don’t know.” He looked at Gojyo. “But what I think doesn’t matter. What matters is whether the townspeople believe he did it.”

Gojyo closed his eyes. So that bastard thought that Hakkai could have done this. That fucking monk! Hakkai was the only one that sometimes seemed able to reach the monk - at least Gojyo knew they had had some serious conversations; but that didn’t seem to count to that asshole. Sanzo still believed Hakkai might have gone out and murdered two innocent human boys in cold blood, only because of a couple of bigoted comments! Barely containing the anger in his voice, he protested, “He didn’t do it! He went to talk to them! What makes them so sure it was him just because he was in the house?”

“Apparently there was a witness. A woman came to visit them shortly after Hakkai left the house,” Sanzo answered. “She says she saw him leave, and when nobody answered her knocks she went inside and saw the bodies, still warm.”

“Shit,” Gojyo groaned. “And they believe her?”

“Why shouldn’t they? She’s a well respected lady in this town.”

“Well respected?” Gojyo released a short cynical laugh. “Visiting a couple of young boys in the middle of the night? She could have done it!”

“Those boys had late habits, and it wasn’t that late,” said Sanzo. “The woman is the town’s healer, and she has visited them every night at the same hour to help one of them with his wounded leg before he went to sleep.”

Against his will, Gojyo was unsettled by all the facts Sanzo had found out. He sat up again, reaching for his cigarettes, and was surprised to see his package held out in front of him by Sanzo. He took one, and Sanzo even lit the cigarette. “Thanks,” Gojyo muttered as he inhaled the smoke and lay down on the bed once more. That was good. He needed a smoke. “What will they do to him? They hate our guts. They’ll never believe he’s innocent.”

“I believe they already have found him guilty, unofficially.” Sanzo studied Gojyo. “And I’m sure you’re right that your relationship won’t help them think differently.”

Gojyo started to respond, but Sanzo interrupted him. “Shut up! I don’t care what you and Hakkai do, so don’t get defensive. Your arguing isn’t going to help. And as for what they are going to do to him, I do know what the punishment for a crime like this is in this town.”

“Well, are you going to tell us?” Gojyo saw a movement from Goku and cast a glance at him. By the look in Goku’s eyes he could see the boy already knew the answer. Gojyo got a sinking feeling in his stomach. This could not be good.

“They’ll flog him, and then they’ll hang him.”

Gojyo could not answer immediately. For a moment he felt out of breath. He could not lose his lover and best friend this way. A bunch of bigoted humans hanging him? No way he was going to let that happen.

“So, what’re we going to do?” He rose and paced the short distance between the bed and the window. “We have to get him out of here! Now! Ordinary stupid humans won’t be much of a challenge. It won’t take us more than a couple minutes.”

“But some innocent people might be seriously wounded,” Goku said in a low voice. “I really don’t want to start a fight against humans.”

Sanzo looked first at Goku, then at Gojyo. “Finally grown some brain, monkey? I hope it’s contagious so the kappa will get some, too.”

Gojyo was not up to answering the insult. “If they’re already convinced he’s the murderer, and we can’t free him immediately, then I’m breaking him out tonight, with or without your help.”

“Yeah! That’s a good idea.” Goku brightened. “There won’t be many people around by then. We’ll just get in and free Hakkai, and then we'll leave.”

“What do you say, monk?” asked Gojyo. “Or are you planning on leaving without Hakkai, after the questioning?” Gojyo’s voice made it clear that in that case they would leave without him, too.

Sanzo hid his thoughts behind that expressionless face that made Gojyo want to hit him. “What good is he to us, if he’s started to kill innocent people again?”

This time there was nothing that could hold Gojyo back. In an instant he was in front of Sanzo, grabbing the monk by his robes and slamming him against the wall. His eyes shone with a dangerous light as he glared at the monk. “Say that again and they’ll have to hang me, too, for murdering you,” he hissed. “Listen closely, you fucking bastard. Hakkai didn’t do this. Understand?”

Sanzo’s violet eyes were locked with Gojyo’s scarlet ones, and there was no sign of sympathy in the monk’s face. But he was standing still, not trying to release himself from Gojyo’s grip. “I said before I don’t know if he did it or not,” Sanzo said calmly. “But I know he won’t get a fair chance if we let him stand trial here. So yes, I’m for a jailbreak, too. Now let go of me, kappa.”

Gojyo released Sanzo. His hands were trembling with anger, and his legs didn’t seem able to hold his weight. Staggering, he reached the bed and sat down.

“I think we should have some breakfast and then go to the prison and have that talk with the sheriff,” Goku said, trying to break the tension. “I’m starving, and I can’t think on an empty stomach. After we’ve eaten, maybe we can convince him Hakkai didn’t do this.”

Sanzo glared at him. “Didn’t you hear me trying to do that before they arrested him, monkey?”

“Yeah, I did,” Goku admitted. “But you were very upset then, Sanzo. You can probably find some better arguments now, when you’re calmer. And with a full stomach,” he added with an attempt to grin.

Gojyo pondered that. Sanzo had been upset? Or was it just the monkey who sensed that emotion in his guardian?

Sanzo’s glare at Goku told Gojyo that Sanzo was not about to admit to being upset. And when had Goku started to try reasoning with Sanzo? Anyway, Gojyo thought it was a good suggestion. If they could convince the sheriff a mistake had been made, then they could just leave this town and forget about the incident. It was a shame about the two dead boys, but once they had left town the sheriff could start searching for the real murderer.

Goku rose from his chair. “Are you guys coming?” he asked. Sanzo finished his cigarette, then walked over to the door. “Let’s go.” He left the room with Goku right behind him.

Gojyo stared after them for a moment, still shaking. He tried to get a hold of himself, but his body was trembling so much he could hardly move. Breathing deeply he managed to get control over his limbs. Then he too rose and walked out of the room.

When he entered the dining room he could feel the other customers looking at him. Gojyo wondered if there were usually so many people here this early, or if it was curiosity that brought them here. Fucking shit, that was a dumb question; he knew why they were here. Apparently the rumor of the murder had spread already. He could see their smirks as they watched him sit down at the table where Sanzo and Goku already were sitting. The air was filled with disgust, bordering on hate, and it was all directed towards him, the suspected murderer’s lover. Fucking shit. He had never known that could get them into this much trouble. He could hear the whispering surrounding him from all directions. By the door stood the sheriff’s man, looking superior. Those fucking idiots. He could take them all out in just a couple of minutes, and they should watch out that he did not.

“Hey, kappa,” said Sanzo, watching him closely. “Don’t start anything. If you’re planning on getting arrested yourself, let me just tell you, I won’t try to get your sorry ass out.”

“As long as you get Hakkai out,” Gojyo muttered. He took a plate and started to pick at the food, trying to ignore the rest of the people in the room. Unable to eat, he looked at Sanzo. “If you decide that you believe Hakkai is guilty, what will you do?”

Sanzo didn’t look up. “Before I decide whether he’s guilty or not, we’ll get him out of jail. As I said, he won’t get a fair trial from these people.”

“And then he'll stand trial before you?” Gojyo asked angrily. “And if your holiness finds him guilty? Let me tell you–”

“If I’m convinced of his guilt, we’ll leave without him,” Sanzo interrupted him.

Trying to keep his temper, Gojyo said bitterly, “Are you sure you can do that? If you believe he’s the murderer, aren’t you afraid he’s going to try to kill us, too?”

“If he tries to kill us, I’ll shoot him,” said Sanzo matter of factly. “Did you doubt that, kappa?”

“Leave him behind, or try to shoot him, and you can kiss this mission we’re on goodbye. ‘Cuz if you do, you’re one dead monk, and I don’t give a damn if you kill me, too, as long as I take you with me.” Gojyo spat out the words to the monk beside him.

“Gojyo.” Goku laid a gentle hand on his shoulder to get his attention. Gojyo looked at the boy, who seemed more mature than he ever had before. “Don’t worry, we’ll get him out.” Goku smiled gently. “And I don’t think Sanzo believes he’s guilty either.”

Goku’s eyes were filled with sympathy, and his words did calm Gojyo. “Thanks,” he muttered.

Goku smiled at Gojyo and started to eat in his usual manner, but Gojyo just picked at his food. Once in a while an occasional piece found its way to his mouth, but when Sanzo and Goku had finished their meal, Gojyo’s plate was still more then two-thirds full.

“Gojyo.” Sanzo looked thoughtfully at the half-breed.

“Yeah, what?”

“Just a word of advice. I don’t think the sheriff’s too friendly when it comes to you. He’s probably looking for an excuse to arrest you, too. You might want to think about that when we’re at his office.”

Sanzo concerned? But when Gojyo, surprised, looked into the monk’s eyes, he got an ‘I-don’t-care-what-the-hell-you-do’ glare. Strangely enough that made Gojyo feel better. When your world is turned upside-down, every kind of familiarity calms you down.

They left the room followed by everybody else’s stares. The man planted at the door by the sheriff tried to sound polite, but was still smirking at them. “Please, follow me. I’ll take you to the jail.”

TBC


Skin Design by Amie of Intense-Illusions.net