Seven virtues of Sanzo by Aeneus



Summary: Seven ficlets written for the 7 heavenly virtues challenge LJ community centered around Sanzo.
Rating: PG
Categories: Saiyuki
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 08/17/06
Updated: 10/04/06


Index

Chapter 1: Humility
Chapter 2: Abstinence


Chapter 1: Humility

Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Saiyuki belongs to Kazuya Minekura.
Beta'ed by  my betas, [info]lirannutian and [info]darkfire_blade.

References to Burial Arc.


Humility

"I am the thirty-first of China Genjyo Sanzo."

The words come mechanically. Thankfully so, because Sanzo doesn't know if he can still say them otherwise. He kneels before the Three Aspects, his head bowed. Cold from the stone floor rises up through the worn fabric of his robes. His uncut fringe hides the chakra on his forehead, like a drop of Koumyou's blood that still stains his skin. The pride at being chosen as his Master's successor has long left him. It cracked with the first bullet he fired through a man's head; then gradually chipped away every time he scrubbed off the dirt and the blood during the last four years. Till there was nothing left but failure.

Is this what you saved me for, Koumyou? Is this what you expected me to be?

The monks he meets look at him with both worship and distaste. They respect his title, the heritage and maybe even his youth. But Sanzo doesn't wear the sutra or his Master's crown. He can't bear to touch them anymore. He is not the Sanzo priest the monks want him to be. He knows they blame him for his lack of reverence. They distrust the emptiness in his eyes. They expect him to look over them, teach them and protect them. He knows how they feel. He had someone to look over him, teach him and protect him till the very end. But every day he feels further away from the memory till he fears there'll come a time he won't bear to touch that either.

The Three Aspects are harsh in their verdict. He hears their words, reminding him of his duty to the Maten Sutra and Koumyou's legacy. For a moment he's overwhelmed by the sharp disappointment that they didn't strip him of his title. But he has to respect their orders, so he crushes the emotion. He bows his head in resignation and rises, still the thirty-first of China Genjyo Sanzo.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Abstinence

Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Saiyuki belongs to Kazuya Minekura.
Beta'ed by  my betas, [info]lirannutian and [info]darkfire_blade.

References to Burial Arc.


Abstinence 

How long can a person go without sleep? Sanzo hasn't slept since his first night in Keiun Temple. Every night he's drawn by the smell of tobacco smoke. Moonlight fills the empty hallways, casting priest Jikatu in eerie light. Every time the head priest offers him a cigarette or a taste of sake. Every time Sanzo refuses; not just out of prudence, but also held back by the intimacy of the memories invoked. After several nights he is no longer sure if Jikatu is really there, or if the head priest was the Tanuki all along.

How long can a person sit without moving? Every day he takes up his position in front of the Buddha. Maybe his persistence will make up for his lack of faith. The monks approve, mistaking his despair for devotion. But the stillness brings no peace. He sits and waits for the Three Aspects to give him an answer. He sits and waits for whatever had given his Master strength, to come to him. He sits and waits till dusk and another night comes.

How long can a person go without food? It's been two days. Sanzo doesn't care that his body grows weak. It fits his mind. The Three Aspects were right, Koumyou made a mistake. He still hasn't heard from them. He fears if they found the location of the Seiten Sutra they wouldn't tell him. Without a purpose here, he might as well leave.

How long can a person go without hope? He has no lead and nowhere to go. Even on the run, the moonlight still brings the paralyzing memories with it, making him relive how he failed his Master before. Now that he has cut himself off from the Palace of the Setting Sun, he's bound to fail him again. His hand searches his sleeve for his gun, to remind him it's still there -- just in case. It finds Jikatu's farewell present instead. Sanzo had almost forgotten about it, but the impulse to crush it is interrupted by the sound of an alarm.

How long can a person go before giving in? The smell of blood greets his return. Typical. Disorganized youkai spill between the disorganized monks. In the midst of chaos lies Jikatu, half finished cigarette on the ground next to him. The man's final words echo in Sanzo's head; the same Koumyou said to him seconds before he died. Sanzo stomps out the cigarette and reaches for his gun. If everyone around him is so determined to die, he's happy to oblige. His karma can't get any worse. It's time to exhale and show he's still alive.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://split-infinity.org/saiyuki/viewstory.php?sid=1166